If you have a cat, you probably identify how feline pee odor can ruin your surroundings. This odor is quite stubborn and will definitely make an unpleasant lasting impression on your guest’s nostrils . If you’ve been ignoring this odor for too long, for the love of your cat and loved ones, it may be time to do something about it.
There is no denying the fact that cat urine is a stubborn odor which requires immediate treatment for rapid results. If you delay the task, chances are you will only be able to temporarily remove the smell. As soon as any form of moisture comes in contact with that area, the odor will re-occur again.
Treating it quickly will also help prevent this excessive peeing activity in cats as they are used to urinating wherever they smell this particular scent.
So, here’re some home remedies to get rid of the odor of cat urine:
- If the cat has just urinated on the rug or carpet, absorb the stain with the help of paper towels, as much as you can.
- Next, place multiple layers of paper towels over that area. Apply pressure to the area to fully absorb the wetness. Keep repeating this, until there is no sign of wetness and just the stain is left remaining.
- Then, use a dry vacuum extractor to remove the remaining cat urine.
- If you want to detect the remaining traces of urine from other areas of your house, use a UV or black light and the stains will illuminate under it. If you’re without a black light, you can always use your nose to find the source of the odor (we know this sounds totally disgusting).
- After, prepare a mixture of vinegar and water, both 50% in quantity. Spray the mixture to dampen the problematic source. Make sure that the mixture is sufficient enough to deeply penetrate the fibers of your carpet.
- Once the carpet has dried, use paper towels to blot it thoroughly. You may again use the vacuum extractor to remove excess moisture.
- Now, apply a handful of baking soda on the affected spot.
- Mix a quarter cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide along with a teaspoon of liquid detergent and pour this solution on baking soda. You may also use a spray bottle for drizzling.
- After you’ve rubbed the solution into the carpet, let it dry. As soon as it dries, use vacuum to extract the baking soda. The odor and urine will be absorbed by the baking soda and will be extracted out by your vacuum.
- You may also use a hard brush to loosen up the excess particles of baking soda.
The urine smell will soon be gone. However, this is applicable only if the urine is fresh. Make sure to not use caustic soda which is used in a dishwashing powder.
If you notice that this remedy does not work, then it means the odor has become stubborn and you will need a strong method to eliminate it. In such circumstances, you may use Room Shocker of Biocide Systems.
If you wish to find out more about Auto Shocker, visit their website today.