How to Get Rid of a Fishy Smell on Your Dog
While we love our pets, when they get a bad odor or fishy smell they can be hard to live with. There are many reasons your canine friend might smell a little fishy, but there are steps you can take to eliminate the fishy smell from your pet, your home, and your vehicle. This guide on how to get rid of a fishy smell on your dog is a breath of fresh air for pet owners.
What Makes Your Dog Smell Like Fish?
So, where is that fishy smell coming from? Sometimes the reason is obvious, and sometimes a trip to the vet might be in order. Some of the reasons your dog might smell like fish include:
- An actual fish or dead animal was involved. Many dogs are delighted to roll on a carcass and carry this intriguing perfume around with them. Rotten fish smells can come from a trip to the shore, walks through a wetland, or something as small as the remains of a frog or bird on the sidewalk.
- Dog breath or bad teeth. Bad breath might mean your dog’s teeth need cleaning or other important pet dental care is overdue. Periodontal disease is common in some dog breeds. If the fish smell comes from your dog’s mouth, their licking and carrying toys will spread the smell around your home as well.
- Impacted anal glands. All dogs have anal glands which release a potent scent marker. Sometimes these become clogged, and need to be “expressed” or released by a veterinarian or professional dog groomer. The smell of impacted anal glands can be fishy and the stinky secretion is hard to remove from fabrics, carpets, and vehicle seats.
- An undiagnosed medical condition. If you can’t easily identify the source of the fishy smell on your dog, you should visit your veterinarian. Female dogs could have an internal infection, or any dog that smells like fish might have a UTI or yeast infection.
- Something they ate. After any medical condition is ruled out, your veterinarian might recommend a change of diet. Some dog foods contain fish, especially salmon, and the fishy smell might be cured by switching to a different dog food or avoiding certain treats.
How to Get Rid of the Fishy Smells that Linger
Once you know where the smell comes from and have gotten any medical conditions under control, you might still face the lingering smell of fish in your home, on your dog, or in your vehicle. Most pet care deodorizing products cannot completely eliminate the strong smell of fish from your dog or your carpet.
These tips will help you get rid of the fishy smell altogether:
- Give your dog a bath as often as once a week.
- Use pre-moistened dog wipes around your dog’s mouth and hindquarters daily.
- Wash your dog’s bedding once per week.
- Use a safe cleaning and odor-eliminating solution designed to remove strong pet odors.
Eliminating Fish Smell from Your Dog
Left untreated, the smell of fish might remain on your dog’s coat for a long time, even after bathing with dog shampoo. Perfumes and masking agents just add to the odor medley. One of the best options available to safely eliminate the smell of fish, skunk, or other organic stinks from your dog is DoggiCLEEN Skunk Spray from Biocide Systems. Powerful enough to eliminate skunk smell, DoggiCLEEN also eliminates any other offensive odors from your pet.
While baking soda, vinegar, peroxide, and dishwashing detergent home remedies can stain, bleach, or even harm your canine friend, DoggiCleen is 100% safe for pets, good for the environment, and free of carcinogens. Whether the fishy smell is coming from your dog’s breath, from rolling on a fish, or from their anal glands, this chlorine dioxide product effectively destroys the odor-causing molecules and leaves your pet smelling fresh and clean again.
Eliminating Fish Smell from Your Home or Vehicle
The same highly effective chlorine dioxide line of products can be used to wash dog bedding, treat hard surfaces, clean fabrics, or even eliminate pet odors from an entire room or your car. Biocide Systems offers Room Shocker, Auto Shocker, and Liquid Shocker products to safely eliminate that fishy smell from all the places your dog hangs out.
Get Rid of That Fishy Smell on Your Dog Today
If you love your dog but hate the way they smell, a single treatment with DoggiCLEEN can have your furry friend smelling fresh and clean again. Having DoggiCLEEN on hand for those unexpected pet odor emergencies will make sure, if your dog does pick up an outdoor odor problem, you can treat them before the smell spreads to your home or vehicle.
For those pets with chronic medical conditions or frequently impacted anal glands, you can use DoggiCLEEN as often as once daily to give them a fresh clean start. Order DoggiCLEEN Skunk Spray today or stock up with a bundle of environmentally friendly, non-toxic, and pet-safe products from Biocide Systems for your home and family.
Eliminates severe odors*, Guaranteed! Not...
Room Shocker™ ClO2 Odor Eliminator Quick Release Vapor
- SKU: RSQR15 Manufacturer: Biocide Systems
Good for any vehicle interior. Compact, F...
Auto Shocker™ ClO2 Odor Eliminator Quick Release
- SKU: ASQR15 Manufacturer: Biocide Systems
For hard surface deodorization, guarantee...
Liquid Shocker™ ClO2 Odor Eliminator
- SKU: LS15 Manufacturer: Biocide Systems
Guaranteed to leave your RV smelling fres...
RV Shocker™ ClO2 Odor Eliminator Quick Release Vapor
- SKU: RVQR15 Manufacturer: Biocide Systems
Guaranteed to leave your boat smelling fr...
Marine Shocker™ ClO2 Odor Eliminator Quick Release Vapor
- SKU: MSQR15 Manufacturer: Biocide Systems
Get rid of Skunk odors off of your pet, G...
doggiClEEN™ Skunk Spray ClO2 Odor Eliminator 8 oz
- SKU: DSS4 Manufacturer: Biocide Systems